After Easter I had a whole lot of leftover eggs… and a couple of ideas. Remember my 4 food groups: bread, fruit, cheese, and chocolate? Well this one involves two of them – bread, in the shape of yummy whole wheat biscuits, and cheese, yummy cheese =) Here’s how it works…
Voila yummy biscuit-topped frittata…
My first impressions were that the frittata and biscuit would be better of separate, but cold the second day it really came into it’s own. This would be a great dish to bring to a potluck or afternoon picnic.
Here’s what you need:
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 200g mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 plum tomatoes (sliced)
- 100g shredded gouda
- 2 links turkey sausage (cooked and cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1/2 batch biscuit dough (Use your favourite recipe or try a new one. I substitute plain yoghurt, for buttermilk, use half whole wheat flour, and cut 1/4 of the butter.)
Here’s what you do:
- Grease a medium frying pan. Heat to medium high heat. Line pan with mushrooms. Brown.
- Lower heat to medium low. Add the eggs then the sausage, then the tomatoes and cheese.
- Cook until egg starts to solidify.
- In the meantime, heat oven to 220C/430F. Mix up biscuit dough, roll into circle, put into freezer until egg is ready.
- When egg is mostly solidified, top with biscuit and bake till golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold (I prefer it cold).
Enjoy =) Print recipe (look, new print recipe function – tell me what you think)