Bakemasters June – Ice Cream Social Swish
Have you heard of swishing? It’s a great way to recycle and clean out your closet. It’s also a perfect excuse to gather friends for fun food. Yesterday Bakemasters gave it a try. Ice-cream was involved. Check it out. The recipe is simple:
Here’s what you need:
- Food (Ice-cream in our case)
- Pre-loved (but clean and still in good condition) clothes (we substituted kitchen goods)
Here’s what you do:
- Pick a date, pick a food theme. Invite your friends.
- Grab a bag or box and get to your bedroom. Open the closet. Identify everything you haven’t worn in over a year. Ask yourself honestly: “Am I likely to wear it in the next year?” Put item in bag or box.
- Repeat with wardrobe and dresser.
- Once date has arrived, set up a table with 3 signs: small, medium, and large.
- Answer door, instruct friends to set their loot on the table next to the appropriate sign.
- Eat food, chat, check out the clothes, try stuff on, score some new-to-you favourites.
- Donate whatever is left to charity.
Congratulations, you’ve swished! As Bakemasters is typically a food thing, I modified the recipe a bit, substituting pre-loved kitchen stuff (gadgets, pans, glasses) for pre-loved clothes. The benefits: I no longer have 4 potato mashers, I scored a rubber spatula (I have a penchant for burning them), and we supported a good cause – whohoo! By the way, the most interesting item at the swish – a tea kettle you can plug into your car for when you just can’t wait to get home for your cuppa =p How cool is that?!