Celebrate National Pumpkin Day with Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Happy National Pumpkin Day everybody! To celebrate I’m crossing another recipe off my pumpkin bucket list (ok, more accurately I’m adding another recipe to the list, but I’m ok with that =p). It’s perfect for a cold stormy day, which is exactly what we’ve got here in lovely old Brussels – Pumpkin Mac & Cheese! Hubby’s getting over a cold, and I fear I’m getting one. So, it is definitely time for comfort food. I started with a recipe from The Back Burner, a great site hosted by a handful of talented food bloggers. Then I added some goodies to make it my own.
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 box of uncooked pasta (I used whole wheat penne. I think that hearty taste of whole wheat pasta really complements the pumpkin)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup skim milk
- 180g low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup light emmental (grated)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 300g chopped mushrooms
- 5 links chicken sausage (125g each)
Here’s what you do:
- Cook the pasta. Be careful not to overcook. There’s nothing worse than mushy pasta. While the pasta is cooking cook up the chicken (or turkey) sausage.
- Use the sausage pan to sauté the mushroom. Use the pasta pot to make the pumpkin cheese sauce.
- With the mushrooms cooking, start on the pumpkin cheese sauce. Over medium heat whisk pumpkin and milk together. Once hot, add the cheeses. Whisk till melted. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic to your liking.
- Add mushrooms, sausage, and pasta to the pot with the cheese sauce. Stir until completely combined.
Enjoy =) NOTE: Apples also make a nice addition.