Tempting Tidbit Trials – Brown Butter Gingersnap Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
A long overdue review of a recipe I tried in January…
Dipping again into my New Year’s Resolution must-bake list, I was drawn to these Brown Butter Gingersnap Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. To me gingersnap and molasses just screams winter and since I’m jealous of all the cold and snow the US has been getting, it seemed just the thing to tempt Jack Frost back over to my side of the Atlantic.
This recipe ended up being a big hit with my friends. For me, I think I would add some cinnamon and nutmeg. But if you’re a big ginger fan then go with this recipe just the way it is!
Here’s what you need…
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – very exciting, I used my own that I made before Christmas!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 150g chopped milk chocolate
Here’s what you do…
- Preheat oven to 350°F (150C fan oven). Line 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan until it comes to a boil. Stir as it gets brown flecks. Remove from heat when all the butter is a nice golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes. – Oh waiting is hard!!
- Mix together browned butter and sugars.
- Then add eggs, molasses and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- Slowly stir in flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and chocolate.
- Once combined transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until baked through.
- Let cool before cutting into squares – more waiting, I know… Serve room temperature or chilled, or better yet, with ice-cream.